The History of the Southwestern Conference
Avon Lake High School is a member school of the Southwestern Conference, which was formed in 1937 as three team league with Berea, Oberlin and Rocky River. Five teams were added in the decade of the 1940’s as the league added new member on four occasions. Fairview was admitted in 1940, Clearview in 1945, Wellington in 1946 and Amherst and Medina in 1947
The stability of the league was short lived as Berea exited in 1950 to join the Greater Cleveland Conference. In 1954, Amherst, Clearview and Wellington left to join the newly formed Lakeland Conference. Bay Village, North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls and Westlake then joined Fairview, Medina, Oberlin and Rocky River to form the eight-team league that would remain intact for ten years.
In 1964, Oberlin departed and Avon Lake was admitted. The SWC then remained unchanged for twenty-two years. In 1986, Medina left for the Pioneer Conference and Amherst returned after a thirty-two year absence.
After nineteen years of no change, in 2005 Rocky River, Fairview and Bay Village departed the SWC to join the newly formed West Shore Conference. Berea returned to the Southwestern Conference in 2005 along with new members, Midpark and Brecksville-Broadview Heights.
In 2013 Berea and Midpark merged to create Berea-Midpark High School, setting in motion yet another era of change for the SWC. Brecksville-Broadview Heights announced in the same year they would be exiting the SWC to join the expanding Suburban League in 2015.
The year 2015 will see the Southwestern Conference expand to ten teams with the addition of Avon, Lakewood, Midview and North Ridgeville.